5 Tips for a Successful Pickleball Experience

In the summer of 2023, pickleball was a popular sport for people of all ages. Pickleball is a paddle sport that combines elements of tennis, badminton, and ping-pong. Personally, I am a big pickleball enthusiast because it offers a perfect blend of competitiveness, social interaction, and physical activity. If you’re new to pickleball and want to join in the fun, here are a few valuable lessons that I wish I had known before first stepping onto the court:

Warm-Up: As a former collegiate athlete, you’d think I knew better, but I made the mistake of skipping the warm-up before my first pickleball session, and the consequences were immediate. Just an hour into the game, I pulled my quad and had to sit out the rest of the game. Warming up prepares your body for the physical demands of pickleball and significantly reduces the risk of injuries. Given that pickleball requires flexibility and a wide range of motion for success, a proper warm-up can give you that competitive edge you need on the court. Don’t repeat my mistake – prioritize warming up before your next pickleball game!

Hydration: Staying properly hydrated before playing pickleball is crucial. I’ve experienced firsthand how one hour on the pickleball court can quickly turn into four. So make sure to bring plenty of water and take water breaks between each match.

Footwork Matters: I initially underestimated the importance of footwork in pickleball. However, I soon discovered that the same quick positioning and agile footwork I honed on the tennis court were equally crucial in pickleball. Remember to wear shoes with good traction, support, and fit so you can move quickly without turning an ankle.

Communication is Key: Pickleball is often played in doubles, which requires excellent communication with your partner. If you have played pickleball, you know the irritation when the ball is hit right down the center and no one goes for it. Coordinate your moves, call out shots, and support each other on the court. Good teamwork can give you a significant advantage over your opponents.

Stay Patient: In the thrilling game of pickleball, it’s all too easy to get swept up in the excitement and rush your shots. But, I’ve learned that patience is a virtue during those long and intense rallies because (add the reason why). With experience, I’ve come to realize  that I can outplay most opponents through patience and consistency rather than power.

By Maya Shetty, BS