Dr. Fredericson’s KEY RESEARCH
Michael Fredericson, MD, FACSM
Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
Stanford University School of Medicine
- (Jun, 2019) Impact of Adaptive Sports Participation on Quality of Life. Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy Review.
- (Apr, 2018) Effectiveness of Platelet-Rich Plasma in Treatment of Lateral Epicondylitis–A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. European Congress of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine.
- (2016) Therapeutic Efficacy of Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections in Treating Chronic High Hamstring Tendinopathy. Clinical Medical Reviews and Case Reports.
- (Oct, 2016) Association between Hyaluronic Acid Injections and Time-to-Total Knee Replacement Surgery. The Journal of Knee Surgery.
- (Feb, 2019) Bone stress injuries in male distance runners: higher modified Female Athlete Triad Cumulative Risk Assessment scores predict increased rates of injury. British Journal of Sports Medicine.
- (Feb, 2019) Sports Participation Decreases the Incidence of Traumatic, Nonsports-Related Fractures Among Adolescents. Pediatric Exercise Science.
- (Jul, 2018) Acute changes in foot strike pattern and cadence affect running parameters associated with tibial stress fractures. Journal of Biomechanics.
- (Dec, 2018) Sport and Triad Risk Factors Influence Bone Mineral Density in Collegiate Athletes. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise.
- (Apr, 2018) A Review and Proposed Rationale for the use of Ultrasonography as a Diagnostic Modality in the Identification of Bone Stress Injuries. Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine.
- (Feb, 2017) Evidence of a cumulative effect for risk factors predicting low bone mass among male adolescent athletes. British Journal of Sports Medicine.
- (Feb, 2017) Association of the Female Athlete Triad Risk Assessment Stratification to the Development of Bone Stress Injuries in Collegiate Athletes. American Journal of Sports Medicine.
- (Feb, 2016) Parallels with the Female Athlete Triad in Male Athletes. Sports Medicine.
- (Feb, 2016) Bone Stress Injuries in Runners. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinics of North America.
- (Jun, 2015) Identifying sex-specific risk factors for low bone mineral density in adolescent runners. American Journal of Sports Medicine.
- (Jun, 2015) Femoral Neck Stress Fractures and Imaging Features of Femoroacetabular Impingement. PM&R.
- (Feb, 2015) Participation in ball sports may represent a prehabilitation strategy to prevent future stress fractures and promote bone health in young athletes. PM&R.
- (2014) Management and Prevention of Bone Stress Injuries in Long-Distance Runners. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy.
- (Oct, 2013) Identifying sex-specific risk factors for stress fractures in adolescent runners. Medicine in Science Sports and Exercise.
- (Jun, 2013) Update on stress fractures in female athletes: epidemiology, treatment, and prevention. Current Reviews in Musculoskeletal Medicine.
- (Aug, 2012) Use of an antigravity treadmill for rehabilitation of a pelvic stress injury. PM&R.
GENERAL SPORTS MEDICINE
- (Jul, 2019) Surgical management of functional popliteal entrapment syndrome in athletes. Journal of Vascular Surgery.
- (Nov, 2017) Integrating musculoskeletal education and patient care at medical student-run free clinics. PM&R Journal.
- (Nov, 2016) Review of Ultrasonography in the Diagnosis of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and a Proposed Scanning Protocol. Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine.
- (Jun, 2016) Comparison of Muscle Onset Activation Sequences between a Golf or Tennis Swing and Common Training Exercises Using Surface Electromyography: A Pilot Study. Journal of Sports Medicine.
- (Mar, 2016) The Evolution of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation in Sports Medicine. PM&R.
- (Feb, 2016) Piriformis Syndrome With Variant Sciatic Nerve Anatomy: A Case Report. PM&R.
- (Jun, 2015) Athlete Return-to-Play Decisions in Sports Medicine. AMA Journal of Ethics.
- (Feb, 2014) Update on evidence-based treatments for plantar fasciopathy. PM&R.
- (Jan, 2012) Evaluation of the athlete with buttock pain. Current Sports Medicine Reports.
- (May, 2012) Neuromuscular prehabilitation to prevent osteoarthritis after a traumatic joint injury. PM&R.
- (Jun, 2011) Iliotibial band syndrome: soft tissue and biomechanical factors in evaluation and treatment. PM&R.
- (Mar, 2011) Reliability and accuracy of a video analysis protocol to assess core ability. PM&R.
- (Dec, 2018) Two Genetic Variants Associated with Plantar Fascial Disorders. International Journal of Sports Medicine.
- (Dec, 2017) Genome-wide association study identifies a locus associated with rotator cuff injury. Plos One.
- (Sept, 2017) Two genetic loci associated with ankle injury. Plos One.
- (Jul, 2017) Two Genetic Loci associated with Medial Collateral Ligament Injury. International Journal of Sports Medicine.
- (July, 2017) A Genetic Marker Associated with Shoulder Dislocation. International Journal of Sports Medicine.
- (Mar, 2017) Genome-wide association screens for Achilles tendon and ACL tears and tendinopathy. Plos One.
- (Oct, 2018) Differences in Knee and Hip Adduction and Hip Muscle Activation in Runners With and Without Iliotibial Band Syndrome. PM&R.
- (Jul, 2000) Hip abductor weakness in distance runners with iliotibial band syndrome. Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine.
- (Jun, 2019) Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Tears. Sports Health.
- (Feb, 2018) Patellofemoral cartilage stresses are most sensitive to variations in vastus medialis muscle forces. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering.
- (May, 2018) Effectiveness of conservative treatment for patellofemoral pain syndrome: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine
- (Feb, 2016) Patellofemoral Pain. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinics.
- (Nov, 2015) The Role of Cartilage Stress in Patellofemoral Pain. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise.
- (May, 2015) A Novel Knee Orthosis in the Treatment of Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome. Open Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation.
- (Feb, 2014) Update on rehabilitation of patellofemoral pain. Current Sports Medicine Reports.
- (Jun, 2014) Variable criteria for patellofemoral bracing among sports medicine professionals. PM&R.
- (Mar, 2013) Patellar maltracking is prevalent among patellofemoral pain subjects with patella alta: an upright, weightbearing MRI study. Journal of Orthopaedic Research.
- (Oct, 2012) Comparison of MRI and 18F-NaF PET/CT in patients with patellofemoral pain. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
- (Nov, 2016) Moving Toward a Better Balance: Stanford School of Medicine’s Lifestyle Medicine Course Is Spearheading the Promotion of Health and Wellness in Medicine. American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine.
- (Mar, 2013) Exercise is Medicine. Current Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Reports.
LOW BACK PAIN
- (2019) A Narrative Review of Non-pharmacologic Managements for Low Back Pain in Young Athletes. Transylvanian Review.
- (Jun, 2009) Changes in posterior lumbar disk contour abnormality with flexion-extension movement in subjects with low back pain and degenerative disk disease. PM&R.
- (Apr, 2008) Effects of a single session of posterior-to-anterior spinal mobilization and press-up exercise on pain response and lumbar spine extension in people with nonspecific low back pain. Physical Therapy.
- (Feb, 2019) Youth Distance Running: Strategies for Training and Injury Reduction. Current Sports Medicine Reports.
- (Mar, 2015) Running Habits of Competitive Runners During Pregnancy and Breastfeeding. Sports Health.
- (Feb, 2011) Overuse injuries in high school runners: lifetime prevalence and prevention strategies. PM&R.
- (2007) Epidemiology and aetiology of marathon running injuries. Sports Medicine.
- (Aug, 2005) Muscular balance, core stability, and injury prevention for middle- and long-distance runners. PM&R Clinics of North America.
- (Dec, 2108) Effectiveness of Hydrodilatation in Adhesive Capsulitis of Shoulder: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Scandinavian Journal of Surgery.
- (Jun, 2016) Relaxin Receptor RXFP1 and RXFP2 Expression in Ligament, Tendon, and Shoulder Joint Capsule of Rats. Journal of Korean Sports Medicine.
- (Aug, 2010) New developments in magnetic resonance imaging techniques for shoulder instability in athletes. Open Access Journal of Sports Medicine.
- (Dec, 2009) Adhesive Capsulitis: A New Management Protocol to Improve Passive Range of Motion. PM&R.