How do I know if I am getting good sleep?
- Healthy People 2020, a federal initiative from The US Department of Health and Human Services, includes a Sleep Health Objective that promotes sufficient sleep in adults to improve the nation’s health. Both sleep duration and sleep quality are key to experiencing maximal health benefits. Indicators of high quality sleep include:
- About 85% of the time spent in bed, is time sleeping. This means limiting watching TV or taking naps in bed.
- Falling asleep in 30 minutes or less
- Waking up no more than once per night; and
- Being awake for 20 minutes or less after initially falling asleep.