This article is a fantastic summary of the work on creatine and dispelling myths. Creatine is one of the approved, safe, and effective aids for older adults. In this population, creatine supplementation can be beneficial for improving healthspan and muscle preservation. Some key findings of this article show:
- Creatine loading is not necessary, but it is safe and effective at smaller doses (3-5 g or 0.1 g/kg of body mass).
- Creatine supplementation and resistance training produce musculoskeletal and performance benefits in older adults.
- Creatine supplementation can be beneficial for a variety of athletes.
- Creatine supplementation benefits females across their lifespan.
By: Marily Oppezzo, PhD, MS, Head, Lifestyle Medicine Nutrition and Behavioral Change
- Antonio, J., Candow, D.G., Forbes, S.C. et al. Common questions and misconceptions about creatine supplementation: what does the scientific evidence really show?. J Int Soc Sports Nutr 18, 13 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12970-021-00412-w